Friday, September 21, 2012

Today was my last full day in Accra, and I had the pleasure of returning to L & A Academy.  This fine school has been sharing letters with an impressive school in the U.S.: North Marion Elementary and Middle Schools.  The students in Ghana were on holiday, but the proprietress, headmaster,  Kankam (who has spearheaded the project at L & A), and about fifteen students came in to spend time with me, which I am very grateful for.

Whenever I speak to Ghanaian students, I try to take the U.S. down at least a few inches from the pedestal on which it is placed.  Many of the students here are under the impression that everyone in the U.S. is wealthy and educated.  So I point out that we have hungry people and homeless people and a lot of people in prison and a LOT of students who wish that they were not in school.  For Ghanaian students, school is a break from work, and it's their best chance to have a better life than their parents were able to have.  They are, therefore, serious about their studies.  So I told them that they have already figured out the key to success in life (being devoted to your work and to your family and friends).  And I thanked them for inspiring me to expect more of myself and of my students.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I was a student in your Spring 2012 History of American Families class. I am going to use some of your writings from your text (The American Family: From Obligation to Freedom)in a discussion for a communication and gender class. I searched online to find the full name of the text, and when I did, I found your blog.

    I am excited for you to be back in Ghana. What an adventure! You are an excellent teacher, and I am glad to see you sharing your gifts with others. I got a lot out of your class, and it is great that it is helping me in other classes. On a larger scale, it has definitely impacted me in how I look at the history of women and groups of people that have been oppressed over the years. I can see it influencing how I make decisions in my day to day life.

    Thanks for being you and for stepping up to helping make changes in the world!
    Ruth Hampton

    ReplyDelete