Friday, June 18, 2021

Some Thoughts on Support (Upon Graduating from University), By Aineias Engstrom

 


    I’m not usually one to boast about my accomplishments, but I’m confident enough to say that I succeeded at Portland State. Not only did I meet many wonderful people who have had a meaningful impact on my life, but I also graduated summa cum laude and gained important professional experience by completing three internships in Portland. These achievements put me in a position to now move on to graduate school in Switzerland.

    I don’t mean to toot my own horn by calling my time as an undergraduate a success. I mean to set the scene to discuss an important realization I’m taking away from my three-and-a-half years at PSU. Namely, why I was able to succeed.

    I was able to succeed because I had a tremendously strong and dedicated support structure that helped me with every step along the way. My aunt, uncle, and grandparents here in Oregon; my parents from abroad; advisers, classmates, and professors in school itself. I felt supported by more people than I could have imagined during my time in Portland.

    Yes, I worked hard, I looked for internships, I was bright-eyed and eager to build relationships. I understood how to put the puzzle pieces together to succeed. But only because I was given the time and space to figure it out. I produced good work because I felt like people had my back and wanted me to succeed. I got internships because my family supported me financially, so I could work twenty hours a week without pay. And I became eager to build relationships because people’s kindness allowed me to overcome my social anxiety, at least on most days.

    Throughout my time as an undergraduate, I realized more and more the privilege of having such an extensive and committed support structure. I benefited tremendously from it, both materially (having my basic needs met) and emotionally (receiving affirmation for my hard work). But it also became clear to me that having such a support structure is not necessarily normal at PSU. Two of the smartest and most kind-hearted classmates I met as an undergraduate were forced to quit school because they could no longer pay tuition costs. Both of them also had troubled relationships with their families and couldn’t count on them for much support. And I encountered many more people who didn’t have the support structure they needed to overcome problems ranging from trauma and loneliness to food insecurity and houselessness.

     As somebody who was empowered by a strong support structure, my main message to readers is that we need to provide whatever support we can to each other, especially if we ourselves enjoy the privilege of support. There are many different means of support and each of us has something to contribute to somebody else’s well-being. I’ll be the first to say that I need to do more, but I’ve also come to realize that it isn’t a competition. Providing support starts with simple gestures like complimenting someone for a job well done or listening to them when they want to share something about their lives.

    While there are types of support that nobody should have to ask for (such as food or housing), it can also be important to overcome hesitation about asking for help when we need it. It can feel intimidating or even disempowering to ask for support. But oftentimes, people are willing to support us, they just don’t know exactly how – so we have to let them know. It’s true that I come from a privileged position in society that makes it relatively easy for me to overcome this hesitation. But I want to encourage everyone with access to a support structure to use it, to push past the hesitation. Because having a support structure can be so crucial for our success and our emotional and physical well-being. I believe we all need help and most of us also want to help others.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating! I think the message you have shared about support is incredibly important and often overlooked. Support structures are life saving and I wish we had more opportunities to provide basic support to those who might not already have it. I enjoyed reading what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on achieving your goal and then some with your three internships! You will surely move onto more successes! The empathy you learned from listening to stories from people you may not ordinarily hang out with will inform your daily decisions and in your professional life.

    I appreciate your words, “ It can feel intimidating or even disempowering to ask for support. But oftentimes, people are willing to support us, they just don’t know exactly how – so we have to let them know.”

    It is really nice to know that you are aware and can create conditions in relationships to facilitate trust, and that in itself empowers people.

    Deb Tavares
    Alternative High School Language Arts Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your accomplishments and thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. It is a great reminder to me as an instructor of the real goals of my teaching: to help students succeed and meet their own goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats for graduating with such high honors! I enjoyed reading your piece. As a fellow recent PSU graduate, I can relate to the overwhelming impact of a strong support system. Throughout my first 2 years, I was fortunate enough to have a fairly strong built-in support system of family, housing, and friends. The last 2 years, a lot of that was stripped away, and I can safely say that wrapping up school was a lot more challenging without some of those systems in place. Enjoy your graduate studies in Switzerland and keep providing support when you can to those around you! I know I will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, What a powerful call to action for those of us with healthy support systems. I really appreciate your point that our support for others can be an act of kindness or a word of encouragement. Most of us think it doesn't count unless it's big... like paying for someone's tuition. Although that would be great too, I agree with you that it's the little things we do to really show someone that they matter, that's what really counts. I am excited for your future successes as I can tell you will have many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on graduating and reminding us the importance of action!

    ReplyDelete