Tuesday, November 8, 2011

L & A Memorial Academy


I spent a long and exciting Tuesday at L & A Academy in Mallam, east of Accra.  Kankam Mensa Felix graciously hosted me after giving up half of his holiday to spend Monday morning with me, and I got to speak to several classes from second to seventh grade.  Kankam has started a Global Care Club, so they are already excited about learning about other places and cultures.  They had a lot of questions (why don't American students wear uniforms?) and swarmed me between classes and patiently taught me the classic Ghana handshake, which involves a mutual finger snap after you slide your hands together.  Their letters are clearly written, detailed, and thoughtful.  I know that their new friends back in the U.S. will enjoy them.  I am dead tired.  Teaching in Ghana is much like the U.S., only with much higher humidity.  I wouldn't last long in either set of classrooms, but it's a blast for a day here and there!

No comments:

Post a Comment