Sunday, February 23, 2020

"Destined To Be Great," by Theresa Walelu

Even before I was born, my life was full of hardship. My father passed away when my mother was pregnant with me. Two months after my mother gave birth to me, she also passed away. Luckily, after my mother passed away, my aunt stepped up and took me in. She raised me as one of her own children. We lived in poverty: our house was made of grass and rain always entered. If it was raining at night, the house would be full of water. We had to stay up all night without sleeping. I remember going to bed hungry.  We first lived in Angola, the country I was born in, until war broke out. We moved to the Democratic Republic of Congo when I was four years old. My aunt and I barely escaped.

Changing residence because of war and poverty became a repeated occurence in my life. We lived in Congo for six years, and survived with the little we had until another war broke out causing us to relocate again. This time we moved to Zambia. Even though there was no war in Zambia, my family and I were still very traumatized from witnessing all the wars in Angola and Congo. We were traumatized to the point where we had no hope until we received the best news in 2016: we were coming to the United States of America!

Fast Forward to now: I’m a senior in high school, and my goal more than anything is to get a higher education and become a Physician Assistant (PA). My aunt had a habit of telling me about my parents, especially my dad. One thing I’ve kept dear to my heart is how my dad had always wanted to become a PA, but had to sacrifice that dream in order to provide a better life for his family. My aunt who parented me, an orphan, always believed in me and spoke positive words to me. She often told me “You look just like your parents, and you’re destined to be great.” My aunt believing in me helps me know that I can achieve goals, and become whoever I want to become. I believe I can become great by pursuing my dream of a PA. 

My past hardships and experience I have taught me to be resilient and have molded me and gave me a strong mindset. I have learned resilience. While in college and when I face difficulties in life, I will encourage myself by remembering what my aunt has often told me: “You’re destined to be great.” I can achieve anything I set my mind to do, I have family members that believe in me and come June 2020, I will be the first person in my family to graduate from high school!  I could not be happier about that because I have younger cousins that look up to me. I’m excited to set an example for them and give them that confidence they need after overcoming all the obstacles we faced growing up.

5 comments:

  1. Theresa, I am inspired by your story and your journey. I love your determination to follow in your father's footsteps and put action to his dream. You are not only "destined to be great," you already are. It heartens me to know there are young people like you who will influence the future of this country and the world. Thank you for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite having experienced such incredible loss, you stand on the verge of graduating, on the eve of entering into the next phase of your life, ready to pursue the same dream your father once carried, your life and what you have been through but more importantly where you are going is altogether inspiring and moving Theresa. Your resilient spirit and steadfast heart show me that no excuse is ever good enough to not pursue your dreams or to strive for greatness. Thank you.


    ReplyDelete
  3. What an eloquent and inspiring story, Theresa! I enjoyed hearing about your Aunt and how caring and supportive she has been. I am sure you will continue to do great things for others as well as yourself. Dr. d

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really touching story and really inspiring. The fact that you have faced many adversities and managed to stay on top of things and get to where you are at today is amazing. You are definitely setting an example that if you want something you can achieve it no matter what. I congratulate you on graduating this year and hope you accomplish many great things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. You rock. You've lived the stuff I've only read about and you power forward with the kind of energy and spirit that makes the world come alive. Destined or not, you're damn well making greatness your reality.

    ReplyDelete