Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I'll Be Missing My Wendy

With just three days to go until Brando and I leave for Ghana, this blog will soon be filled with photos of dedicated teachers and enthusiastic students from across that joyful nation.  Indeed, a few nights ago when I told Brando of how challenging it had been to find a quiet place to record video interviews in Ghana schools two years ago, he replied, "it's hard to find a quiet place in the entire country!"

But before that chapter starts, I want to tell you about my amazing life partner who encouraged and pushed me to help start this young organization and who has fully supported my donating so much time and money to it.

Wendy has blown my socks off ever since she warmly welcomed me into the house she shared with her room mates in SE Portland nearly twenty-four years ago, when I was working on my dissertation.  She is the kindest and most generous person I know, relentlessly optimistic, supportive, and caring.  I can't imagine a better life partner, and for all the Yo Ghana! teachers and supporters who may run across this blog, please know that much of whatever success we have had and will have is because of her.

And if you see me driving in Ghana, please don't tell her!

No comments:

Post a Comment